Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2017, 01:58:34 AM
75132 Posts in 1768 Topics by 359 Members
Latest Member: nic4real
Home Help Login Register
TalkLeft Discussion Forums  |  Topics  |  Duke Players' Discredited Sexual Assault Case  |  Archived Duke Players' Discredited Sexual Assault Case Topics  |  Lab in Lacrosse Case Found Many DNA Sources - New Defense Motion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lab in Lacrosse Case Found Many DNA Sources - New Defense Motion  (Read 48240 times)
Honey West

Re: Lab in Lacrosse Case Found Many DNA Sources - New Defense Motion
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »

This case makes me sick to my stomach.
weezie

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 04:03:42 PM »

fear not dear members, the enablers will re-group and soon be telling us how this new bombshell is meaningless, just like they did last night about Jone's call for an investigation

Earth-shaker

Earth-shaker from the rump-shaker.
Sydney Carton

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 04:04:16 PM »

Marie wrote:
     The defense has to file a motion to dismiss first. I don't think the judge can just dismiss it without that - he'd be taking an adversarial position.[That I took as a given,Marie.]
     I would think there would have to be a hearing at which the defense and Nifong will argue the issue. Then the judge would rule. I don't think there's any need for a new prosecutor to step in.

But,Marie,Nifong is,at the best ,now a key witness,as well as the State's attorney.We know Mike has one of the biggest egos around but even he can't want to play this forthcoming courtroom scene. And it is hard to believe even hardcore Durham wants the tv cameras on the most sordid incident yet in this wretched and utterly malevolent persecution.If Mike goes quietly the really hard core Lacrosse haters can still whisper around in back alleys that he and Precious were set up.As things stand,Mike could well be on the witness stand long before Precious.
ChanceArmy

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 04:04:55 PM »

Cash was right...most Durhamites were thinking about Xmas.  I was wrapping presents today when all of a sudden the house started to shake...Lo and behold, it was Saint Nick on the roof with an early present in the N&O.  

Can't wait to read Prof. Johnson's live blog of the Friday hearing.  Please Santa, let him report that Judge Smith does the right thing and throws this trainwreck out of court.
LTC8K9

Professional Lunkhead

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 04:05:33 PM »

Nifong had better move to dismiss if he wants to mitigate what he is charged with.
Marie

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 04:10:06 PM »

Marie wrote:
     The defense has to file a motion to dismiss first. I don't think the judge can just dismiss it without that - he'd be taking an adversarial position.[That I took as a given,Marie.]
     I would think there would have to be a hearing at which the defense and Nifong will argue the issue. Then the judge would rule. I don't think there's any need for a new prosecutor to step in.

But,Marie,Nifong is,at the best ,now a key witness,as well as the State's attorney.We know Mike has one of the biggest egos around but even he can't want to play this forthcoming courtroom scene. And it is hard to believe even hardcore Durham wants the tv cameras on the most sordid incident yet in this wretched and utterly malevolent persecution.If Mike goes quietly the really hard core Lacrosse haters can still whisper around in back alleys that he and Precious were set up.As things stand,Mike could well be on the witness stand long before Precious.

That's true Syd. Maybe an ADA should take over - if you can find one who wants to touch this train wreck. Or maybe Nifong's whole office should be recused from the matter.
Marie

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »

Nifong had better move to dismiss if he wants to mitigate what he is charged with.

Nifong better hurry and move to dismiss before someone locks him up. John Q. Kelly was on Fox saing you could make an excellent case for malicious prosecution at this point.
macd

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 04:13:01 PM »

The defense has to file a motion to dismiss first. I don't think the judge can just dismiss it without that - he'd be taking an adversarial position. I would think there would have to be a hearing at which the defense and Nifong will argue the issue. Then the judge would rule. I don't think there's any need for a new prosecutor to step in.
I once saw a TV judge say "on my own motion, case dismissed". (The show Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip)
Does that only happen on TV?

In any case, the players have enough lawyers, I'm sure a motion will be filed if there is any legal ground.
Sydney Carton

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 04:14:38 PM »

That's true Syd. Maybe an ADA should take over - if you can find one who wants to touch this train wreck. Or maybe Nifong's whole office should be recused from the matter.

The enire bat cave wants to fly over and  help; but they can't come out till after dark
LearnedHand

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 04:22:44 PM »

Weird...anyone notice who has NOT added their voice to this new info??

IMHO, PM and others of that ilk...what WILL you say?  I am just SO curious to hear the spin on this one!
debann

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 04:26:16 PM »

Here is the link to the motion. It is a 17 page pdf. file.

http://www.wral.com/download/2006/1213/10527414.pdf
Honey West

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 04:30:11 PM »

IMHO, PM and others of that ilk...what WILL you say?  I am just SO curious to hear the spin on this one!

I'm sure they'll say that the defense is trying to humiliate her to cover up for their guilty clients. They'll say DNA from other men has no bearing on this case. It was the lacrosse players who raped her--those other contacts were consensual, therefore irrelevant. She had sex with a lot of guys--so what? That doesn't mean she wasn't raped. That's what they'll say.
Sydney Carton

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2006, 04:32:54 PM »

Thanks a million,Debann.
         Liestoppers just posted the following account  from the Raleigh NO of September 22d.

Also on Friday, Nifong took a jab at defense lawyers when they sought more information about DNA testing.

The defense lawyers want to know more about who did the testing and how it was done. They asked for DNA reports from the SBI and private lab that did a second round of testing in case other DNA was identified during the testing.

Doug Kingsbery, a Raleigh lawyer representing Finnerty, said that other DNA might have been found that did not match any of the lacrosse players or others tested for matches.

Nifong answered that it was ironic that the attorneys now want the "typical witch hunt list" to cast doubt on how the DNA was tested.

Seems Mike will have to claim that he's being broomsticked.
weezie

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2006, 04:40:09 PM »

Not to worry, they're checking in and reading all the news right now! Surely the great "reporter" will be weighing in soon.

J. Elliott

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2006, 04:42:51 PM »

If you'll read Mr. Michael's posts here lately, you'll notice he threw in a disclaimer of sorts. I thought it odd that he mentioned that he didn't care which way the winds blows as to the real liars in the case, defendants or accuser. Hedging his bets and staying in the middle of the road.

I took this to mean his big news just *** might *** be exculpatory, rather than incriminatory. I'm assuming this is the bombshell he spoke of.

Friday will be delicious, although as said here already, her having sex with 20 guys that weekend still doesn't mean she wasn't raped at the LAX party. So, we can forget about seeing the potbangers retreat just yet.

I'm enjoying that the accuser is looking like a real whore, however. Geez, when will the public get a grip?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Advertise Here