Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 12:52:33 AM
75132 Posts in 1768 Topics by 359 Members
Latest Member: nic4real
Home Help Login Register
TalkLeft Discussion Forums  |  Topics  |  Duke Players' Discredited Sexual Assault Case  |  Archived Duke Players' Discredited Sexual Assault Case Topics  |  Freda Black Urges Supporters to Vote for Cheek 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Freda Black Urges Supporters to Vote for Cheek  (Read 16956 times)
LTC8K9

Professional Lunkhead

Re: Freda Black Urges Supporters to Vote for Cheek
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 02:46:08 PM »

"I ask that you, the 10,000 voters who supported me in May, vote for Lewis Cheek. This district attorney's race truly stretches beyond all lines and the outcome will affect every citizen in Durham," Black said in a statement. "We have an opportunity on November 7th to better our community and our justice system. Please take that opportunity."

Nice.
Photios

Email
NEW POLL RESULTS
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 03:10:52 PM »

The Cheek campaign just released poll of 300 likely voters in Durham County. The results:

*   Nifong, 33%
*   Cheek, 32%
*   write-in, 5%
*   don't know/undecided, 30%
The poll's demographic breakdown:

*   65% Democratic, 19% Republican, 16% independent.
*   58% women, 42% men.
*   62% white, 30% black.
This breakdown differs slightly from the N&O poll of 10 days ago, which had whites at 56% of the likely voter sample and blacks at 38%.
The politics of revenge and prosecutorial misconduct is playing well in the African-American community: the N&O poll had Nifong carrying the black vote 62%-9%; in the Cheek poll, the figure is 61%-4%.
As in the N&O poll, the Cheek poll shows Nifong polling better among women than men.
There is one enormous difference between the two polls, suggesting that the news of recent days (Nifong's admission that, despite his status as prosecutor and lead investigator for the case, he's never spoken to the accuser about her story, amidst revelations that the accuser was dancing in a most limber fashion at the time the authorities claim that she was in horrific pain from her attack) is having an effect.
In the N&O poll, Nifong led Cheek among independents, 42%-30%, with the remainder scattered or undecided. In the Cheek poll, Cheek led among independents, 42%-15%, with the remainder scattered or undecided.
The basic conclusions:

*   Turnout is critical. A large vote by independents and Republicans would likely yield a Cheek win.
*   As Cheek appears to have a realistic chance of an upset, the only rationale for a continued Monks candidacy is to ensure Nifong's re-election.
*   Judging by the swing among independent voters, the momentum is in Cheek's favor, though, as the slated nominee and with the endorsement of two local PACs, Nifong retains important advantages.
In more good news for the Cheek campaign, Freda Black, who narrowly lost to Nifong in the primary, today urged her supporters to cast ballots for Cheek.
http://durhamwonderland.blogspot.com/2006/11/political-developments.html
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 03:14:34 PM by Photios » Logged
sceptical

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 03:17:44 PM »

The real question is whether Freda Black can  "deliver" the votes of her supporters to Cheek.

There is no love lost between Freda Black and Nifong so her statement is not surprising.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 03:34:19 PM by sceptical » Logged
Bob In Pacifica

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 03:27:21 PM »

The new poll results are amazing. The huge shift to Cheeks and away from Nifong can only mean that there is a real chance of putting this guy out on the street. My hope is that the African Americans' big support for Nifong is partly because they are going with the party line and don't want to admit their switch away from Nifong, which might mean an even greater swing.

As a parallel observation, there are far less people wearing 49er jerseys than there were before the start of the season, if you know what I mean. When the guy you're backing develops that loser stank you tend to start walking away. If you have doubts about him, you tend not to vote at all.

Now if Nifong loses, is he going to hand over this case to another DA?
wagstaff

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 03:38:49 PM »

The Poll is amazing! It is actually true! Beth Brewer that amazing woman with NO Political Experience has brought this race to a dead tie!

OK Bloggers. Please do everything you can in the next 4 days. Each one of you are helping out! Every letter, every response from Talk Left to the Free Republic helps! Join in one great effort. E-Mail the networks, demand they put Beth Brewer head of Recall Nifong Vote Cheek on!

Victory is within our reach!
wiley

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 03:40:11 PM »

I would bet that the sample used in the poll does not accurately reflect the impact of higher than normal voting by Duke students that is going to happen this year.  
Photios

Email
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 03:52:52 PM »

I've started a new thread on the new poll, so this one can be left for Freda.
Photios

Email
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 03:54:48 PM »

She needs to fire David Saaacks (who signed one of the lying warrant documents) and Ashley Cannon (who prosecuted Evans on the noise complaint and Elmostafa) while she's at it, and take a good look at whether the services of C. Destine Couch are really required, too.
kbp

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 03:55:19 PM »

If Cheek wins I'll be re-posting my vote numbers/comments I made in fonts much BIGGER than this!

I still think many in the N&O poll will be sitting on the couch as those that are motivated to get rid of Nifong are out voting.

Even with all the stir Nifong gave them - remember the pot-bangers - only 29% of the Denocrats registered to vote did get off the couch and vote.  I'm certain fewer will this time around.
inmyhumbleopinion

"I thought he was banned permanently too" OM OM OM

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2006, 04:12:08 PM »

Excellent...

Now we need the Governor to issue a statement that he would appoint Freda in the event that the Durham DA spot became vacant.

Or at least for Freda to make a statement that she would be happy to serve if called upon.

I wonder how fast she would demand Nifong's resignation

Faster than this case is dropped.
She wouldn't demand his resignation. If she was appointed DA, she would just fire his a$$, like he did to her.
LOL.

He didn't fire her.

QT
LIMom

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006, 04:15:40 PM »

Yes he did.  We don't have to get into semantics, IMHO.  Asking for someone's resignation is the same thing in most people's books!
inmyhumbleopinion

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2006, 04:23:33 PM »

Yes he did.  We don't have to get into semantics, IMHO.  Asking for someone's resignation is the same thing in most people's books!

Read what elizabeth said, then you will see why I posted what actually happened.

QT
Marie

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2006, 04:46:36 PM »

This is good news. Freda Black almost won the primary so she obviously has a significant group of supporters.
inmyhumbleopinion

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2006, 04:51:39 PM »

This is good news. Freda Black almost won the primary so she obviously has a significant group of supporters.

I doubt her endorsement will cause any kind of shift. I would assume her supporters were all ready voting against Nifong.

QT
Marie

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2006, 04:57:06 PM »

I doubt her endorsement will cause any kind of shift. I would assume her supporters were all ready voting against Nifong.

True. But I think this combined with the new poll results will energize Cheek supporters and it will bring in some undecideds who thought Nifong would win easily and inspire them to get to the polls.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Advertise Here