Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 12:50:19 AM
75132 Posts in 1768 Topics by 359 Members
Latest Member: nic4real
Home Help Login Register
TalkLeft Discussion Forums  |  Topics  |  Duke Players' Discredited Sexual Assault Case  |  Archived Duke Players' Discredited Sexual Assault Case Topics  |  New Posters Need to Be Aware of the Forum Rules 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Posters Need to Be Aware of the Forum Rules  (Read 25240 times)
SharonInJax

Re: New Posters Need to Be Aware of the Forum Rules
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2006, 08:10:01 PM »

nucular:  I wasn't the one who said that.  My computer literacy remains at a steady second-grade level

Then again, those seven year olds are getting smarter and smarter, and more tech savvy, too.
LongTimerLurker

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2006, 10:18:03 PM »

Have you used the Sitemeter at Talk left?

That depends on your definition of used, I guess...

As a techie, i am curious to know how much information is being given away to others when i am online.

However, I have not used it to get someone in trouble.. I think you hold the title for that one.

Personally, I would be much happier if it were removed.  You have proven that you will use it against others, and I, personally, don't like that invasion on my privacy.
inmyhumbleopinion

"I thought he was banned permanently too" OM OM OM

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2006, 10:29:33 PM »

Have you used the Sitemeter at Talk left?

That depends on your definition of used, I guess...

As a techie, i am curious to know how much information is being given away to others when i am online.

However, I have not used it to get someone in trouble.. I think you hold the title for that one.

Personally, I would be much happier if it were removed.  You have proven that you will use it against others, and I, personally, don't like that invasion on my privacy.

What are you talking about?

Who has gotten in trouble from the use of Sitemeter? What does it have to do with me?

How has it been used against others?
What does it have to do with me?

Who is telling you this stuff? Why are they telling lies?

QT
LongTimerLurker

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2006, 10:32:55 PM »

You admitted to using the info to have 4 posters banned from the site, agreed?

So you have shown you will use the info to get what you desire.  Now the only question is how far you will go with that info.

Some here, myself included, are concerned your misplaced passion on this case could turn vindictive.
OM

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2006, 10:37:09 PM »

So you have shown you will use the info to get what you desire.  Now the only question is how far you will go with that info.

Some here, myself included, are concerned your misplaced passion on this case could turn vindictive.

I don't know if IMHO admitted that.  I'm certain no posters have been banned.  They're still here, accusing imho of doing what they were doing.
inmyhumbleopinion

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2006, 10:52:54 PM »

OM is correct. No real posters have been banned. If you are talking about Nuke Scientist, myownsokcpup, 12donot and nucleear scientist, yes I did use Sitemeter to see where they were posting from.  Nuke Scientist was telling lies about me.  He claimed to know me and to be from the Skakel board. I knew he was not who he claimed to be and it was apparently proven to TL because all four were gone in one fell swoop.  I think that upset Newport because after all his belly-aching to TL no one has been banned.  Some people's claims are more credible than others.

btw, as to the banning of those four, it is safe to assume no "familes suffered."  LOL.

Misplaced passion about this case has caused someone to behave in a vindictive manner toward me, but I have not retaliated.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 11:00:11 PM by inmyhumbleopinion » Logged

QT
LongTimerLurker

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2006, 11:11:28 PM »

[...] Nuke Scientist, myownsokcpup, 12donot and nucleear scientist, yes I did use Sitemeter [...] Nuke Scientist was telling lies about me. [...] I knew he was not who he claimed to be and it was apparently proven to TL because all four were gone [...]

So you didn't like what was said, o you used Sitemeter to catch those four doing something wrong, complained to TL and they were 'gone'. 

How is that different than you not liking what someone else says, using Sitemeter to get info on them, and complain to their company and they are 'gone'?

Both fit my definition of vindictive - the only difference is in the shade of gray... (or purple)
OM

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2006, 11:13:48 PM »

How is that different than you not liking what someone else says, using Sitemeter to get info on them, and complain to their company and they are 'gone'?

Both fit my definition of vindictive - the only difference is in the shade of gray... (or purple)

The goal of those you choose to defend is to get imho banned.  It is transparent.  There is a material difference in both motive and tactics.
LongTimerLurker

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2006, 11:15:26 PM »

I am defending no one. I am, however, stating my opinion of how the Sitemeter could easily be used.  And it does not seem to be a far stretch from how it has already been used.
OM

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2006, 11:18:57 PM »

I am defending no one. I am, however, stating my opinion of how the Sitemeter could easily be used.  And it does not seem to be a far stretch from how it has already been used.

Well, I don't use it.  I'm more commenting on the fact that certain folks are misusing it in retaliation for imho using it.
inmyhumbleopinion

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2006, 11:33:45 PM »

[...] Nuke Scientist, myownsokcpup, 12donot and nucleear scientist, yes I did use Sitemeter [...] Nuke Scientist was telling lies about me. [...] I knew he was not who he claimed to be and it was apparently proven to TL because all four were gone [...]

So you didn't like what was said, o you used Sitemeter to catch those four doing something wrong, complained to TL and they were 'gone'. 

I don't care what commenters here say as long as it is not lies about me.  Nuke Scientist registered and right away insulted members here while representing himself as someone who I knew.  That was a lie, I knew it and was apparently able to prove it to TL's satisfaction.  I don't even know what the other three posted, I simply showed them all to be frauds.

No one here can "catch someone doing something wrong" if they don't do anything wrong while visiting this site.

This whole idea of reporting someone to their boss came from Tony.  It never occurred to me someone would do that. I wouldn't, but if someone got fired over being reported to their boss, they must have been doing something wrong. If you are not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about, if you are, you should ask yourself if reading and posting on any board is worth the risk of losing your job.  Almost all boards have IP tracking software.  On some sites the information is available to everyone and on other sites it is limited to admins and moderators.  These people can be as nutty and vindictive as  anyone reading the information available to the public.  They are usually passionate advocates for their position.  If you get them riled, you do so at your own peril if reporting your internet use to someone will get you into trouble.

QT
LongTimerLurker

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2006, 11:47:18 PM »

Almost all boards have IP tracking software

I trust TL as her interest is in the site.    I don't trust everyone else.

Regarding doing something 'wrong' while on the job, most employeers officially prohibit any websurfing on the job, but unoffocially look the other way as long as an issue is not made of it.  The point is, someone here could make an issue out of something taken out of context.

And no, I am not worried about my personal job.  But I see no real reason why the Sitemeter should stay, given how it can be abused.
inmyhumbleopinion

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2006, 12:05:37 AM »

Regarding doing something 'wrong' while on the job, most employeers officially prohibit any websurfing on the job, but unoffocially look the other way as long as an issue is not made of it.  The point is, someone here could make an issue out of something taken out of context.

And no, I am not worried about my personal job.  But I see no real reason why the Sitemeter should stay, given how it can be abused.

I don't see how anyone who is not doing something wrong could be harmed.  The Sitemeter button is there for everyone to see, if they don't like having that information tracked and the information being public, they should not visit the site.  TL has not asked our opinion on the matter, so I feel it is not anyone's place to say they don't think the Sitemeter should stay.

QT
lead_and_gold

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2006, 12:17:06 AM »

Or perhaps there should be a conspicuous warning/disclaimer so that new posters will know the risks they run here.
inmyhumbleopinion

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2006, 12:22:37 AM »

Or perhaps there should be a conspicuous warning/disclaimer so that new posters will know the risks they run here.

...if they are doing something they should not be doing.  Otherwise, there is no risk.

QT
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Advertise Here