Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 12:51:37 AM
75132 Posts in 1768 Topics by 359 Members
Latest Member: nic4real
Home Help Login Register
TalkLeft Discussion Forums  |  Topics  |  Duke Players' Discredited Sexual Assault Case  |  Archived Duke Players' Discredited Sexual Assault Case Topics  |  New Posters Need to Be Aware of the Forum Rules 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Posters Need to Be Aware of the Forum Rules  (Read 25242 times)
WoodyOfWoodside

misogyny is not illegal

Re: New Posters Need to Be Aware of the Forum Rules
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 10:07:23 AM »

Well, all you have to do to pacify this curiosity of yours is scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the little box marked 'site meter'.

OM
emmy954

put on your big girl pants...

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2006, 10:13:48 AM »

I'm not curious about the site meter...I think I've only clicked on it *maybe* once, and that was when the brouhaha was first brought up...and you can check, I'm sure!  I don't really care to know any of that stuff,because I don't really care who is who, and who is here from other countries or cyber cafes, yada yada...and this tech talk goes largely over my head...I have my suspicions about certain posters, and I know who I like and trust and believe is genuine...that's enough for me!

"Yeah, and I'll stand by your side...You'll need a good companion now, for this part of the ride.  And leave behind your sorrows, let this day be the last...well tomorrow there'll be sunshine, and all this darkness past."

Bruce Springsteen...Land of Hope and Dreams
Mr X

is there no cave?..

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2006, 10:21:07 AM »

Have you reached a decision about the sitemeter, TL?

Jeez, it's her site.  She knows where you all stand.  She doesn't owe anyone answer or explanation.

The only problem I can see with the sitemeter, something that never occurred to me before Tony posted it,  is that someone spiteful could report an IP to the OWNER of the IP for possible unauthorized use of the interent.  If you are not doing that, there is no problem.   Should TL change her policy to protect those type of people?

This alone is a great reason to get rid of the site meter info. Thank you Immy. Tony will record your vote when he returns.
Texas Mom

Email
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2006, 10:30:44 AM »

I just checked out the site meter, as Woody so graciously issued an invitation to do so.  I am stunned to see the amount of information there.  I am not comforted by the "Privacy Policy".  I find it interesting how this forum has changed over time- it is sad that I don't care to visit because of a certain coterie.  Will they remain after the election and before Nifong is sued?  Quien sabe?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:51:59 PM by Texas Mom » Logged
PB

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2006, 01:04:04 PM »

Here we go again....

Having the site meter be public encourages glasnost. Having the site meter be only available to administrators is analogous to the old Soviet system, which encouraged corruption, stealth, and backroom dealing.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 01:14:15 PM by PB » Logged
inmyhumbleopinion

"I thought he was banned permanently too" OM OM OM

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 01:07:14 PM »

A humorous jab that does not rise to the level of "baiting."  I mean, come on:  your response to my asking TL if she had decided anthing about the sitemeter could be construed as "baiting," but if we're going to report every little dig then the impact and import of calling it to TL's attention will be meaningless.

Can a humorous jab be baiting?  What do you think emmy's intent was? Is the relationship of the jabber to their target a factor indetermining what is meant to be harmless and what is meant to be provocative?  This board could be "humorous jabbed" into total worthlessness as a place to exchange ideas.  Humorous jabs will not be eliminated.  If no one deems it reportable, it will not be reported.  If emmy  humorously jabs at you, you needn't report it and good clean fun can be had by all. If someone reports it, it was not taken as a humorous jab. If commenters are more mindful in predicting  if the TARGET of the jab will find it amusing, there will be less flaming/baiting.

My post about sitemeter was my opinion.  It had nothing to do with you other than you brought up the topic. If Talk left ASKS for our opinion on PMs that's one thing -  for Tony to start logging votes about another topic, is another.  I think that is out of line.  It's her site.

She has reasons for keeping the Sitemeter public that she need not explain to anyone.

Sharon, some of mommies children cry louder than the others and are therefore heard more often when coming in from the playground with skinned knees.

Humorous jab or baiting?

QT
inmyhumbleopinion

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2006, 03:37:10 PM »

Immy...put on your big girl pants...it seems as though you have abused the site meter function...and you can't or won't admit to it...funny how you can jab at people and then just press a button and the jab disappears, you can implant things in your posts to try to discourage people from quoting you, you erase posts as if they never were posted, and you then get indignant when someone dares jab at you?!  You get much benefit of the doubt here, for sure...okay...but you're not fooling many of the posters here any more...you write,  " If commenters are more mindful in predicting  if the TARGET of the jab will find it amusing, there will be less flaming/baiting."

LMAO...were *you* mindful when you posted jabs at me, and Madison, and LT, and whomever else you jabbed at?!  You're not a lily white cherub, dearie...stop getting the vapors...

...it seems as though you have abused the site meter function..

More accusations?  It is public information. How has anyone abused it?  If Tony can get fired for whatever he is doing from his work computer, he probably shouldn't be doing it.

Nothing is preventing you from saving any post of mine you think is worth perserving. Don't hit the quote button, just highlight and copy.

QT
LTC8K9

Professional Lunkhead

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2006, 03:55:10 PM »

File/Save as  Will keep whole pages intact for you.
inmyhumbleopinion

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2006, 04:35:39 PM »

File/Save as  Will keep whole pages intact for you.

Works for Sitemeter too.

QT
SharonInJax

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »

Either emmy did a lot of talking to herself (nothing wrong with that: I do it all the time, except when I'm talking to my cats), or a number of response posts were deleted.  Most confusing.
inmyhumbleopinion

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2006, 06:43:24 PM »

Sam can you speak up please??

You've been on all day, wonder whatcha doing sweetie.

REPORTED FOR BAITING

QT
PB

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2006, 06:59:16 PM »

How does one see the "members" list?

IMMY who is member 11?

I think the Members List was taken down in response to privacy complaints.
LongTimerLurker

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2006, 07:24:53 PM »

IMHO, I don't think you were the TARGET here... or were you?

If commenters are more mindful in predicting  if the TARGET of the jab will find it amusing, there will be less flaming/baiting.

Sam can you speak up please??

You've been on all day, wonder whatcha doing sweetie.

REPORTED FOR BAITING
nucular_scientist

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2006, 07:52:27 PM »

The only problem I can see with the sitemeter, something that never occurred to me before Tony posted it,  is that someone spiteful could report an IP to the OWNER of the IP for possible unauthorized use of the interent.  If you are not doing that, there is no problem.   Should TL change her policy to protect those type of people?

Sharon, IP companies receive TONS of allegations every day. They won't penalize you for nothing and they won't look into anything minor. There is no fear there. They are accustomed to that kind of crap.
LongTimerLurker

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2006, 07:58:19 PM »

Agreed, if the IP was traced back to a large ISP that had tons of users.  Not necessarily true if the IP was traced back to a small ISP with an overzealous IT staff, or to a private company.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Advertise Here