Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 12:55:50 AM
75132 Posts in 1768 Topics by 359 Members
Latest Member: nic4real
Home Help Login Register
TalkLeft Discussion Forums  |  Topics  |  Duke Players' Discredited Sexual Assault Case  |  Justice for Nifong Libeling Elmo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Justice for Nifong Libeling Elmo  (Read 2199 times)
Sydney Carton

Justice for Nifong Libeling Elmo
« on: February 25, 2009, 06:50:14 PM »

http://justice4nifong.blogspot.com/2009/02/regarding-mr-elmostafa-taxi-cab-driver.html
      You won't believe this until you see it!
       At least JFN is also posting its myriad  critics(several  well known from the old days here).Like their hero,these people(whatever else may be said about them)do not lack for chutzpah.
   Can the Fong really be planning to offer such defenses in a court of law?

hp4578

Re: Justice for Nifong Libeling Elmo
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:35:59 AM »

SC, I do recall contact with Elmo and the relief that his computer records coincided with Reade's description of his call for a taxi and stops along the route back to his dorm.  I know I would have been jumping up and down if some corroborated my story. 

Who exactly is the author of this comical blog entry?  One of the commenters mentions Sydney Harr as the author.  I don't know if that is correct or not but when I googled him, this is what I came up with.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2746/story/1149712.html

"Harr is a retired physician and an artist. He has drawn a color pro-Nifong comic strip called "The Mis-adventures of Super Duper Cooper" about a "mild-mannered ... bumbling attorney general dispensing selective justice based on color and class."

He portrays state Attorney General Roy Cooper, aided by a barely dressed "curvaceous assistant," wondering, "Let's see ... What else can I do to make the Nifong's life miserable?"

In arguing that Nifong deserves reinstatement to the bar, Harr noted Monday that Nifong is the only district attorney ever disbarred in the state -- despite instances of egregious prosecutorial misconduct by others."

It is hard for me to understand people who, even after being slapped in the face with a trout (or in this case, evidence), continue to not see truth.

Also, the argument that "so and so didn't get punished for what he did so why should Nifong be punished" is ridiculous.  How many times have we been told two wrongs don't make a right.  Sometimes, the system works and people are punished for their wrong doings.  Other times, the system fails.

Sydney Carton

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 02:03:52 PM »

hp writes:

« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:35:59 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SC, I do recall contact with Elmo and the relief that his computer records coincided with Reade's description of his call for a taxi and stops along the route back to his dorm.  I know I would have been jumping up and down if some corroborated my story.
  SC,
   hp.
  The  author appears to  be not only ignorant of how complex the  computors and the other other electronic objects involved are but of ordinary common sense.Apart from the physical problem of re-timing  electonic bank records and photogaphs,the forger would have had to correlate  multiple timed calls from several separate phones,the restaurant receipt,and the dorm cards. If Elmo had dropped dead five minutes after delivering Reade and hiis pal at their door,the alibi would have stood  firm on the  basis of the  electronic recordings.
   And casting Elmo as the only identifiable conspirator in all this ? Elmo was a non-citizen daily answerable to the most extreme unpleasantries of Durham LE;if he wanted to stay in this country and that city,Nifong,Stacey, and Co. held all the cards.They simply forgot that simple human decency can,sometimes,still exist,even in Durham.

hp:
Who exactly is the author of this comical blog entry?  One of the commenters mentions Sydney Harr as the author.  I don't know if that is correct or not but when I googled him, this is what I came up with.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2746/story/1149712.html

"Harr is a retired physician and an artist. He has drawn a color pro-Nifong comic strip called "The Mis-adventures of Super Duper Cooper" about a "mild-mannered ... bumbling attorney general dispensing selective justice based on color and class."
  SC:
   He also  lists his favorite movie as "V in Vendetta", which might explain him a bit.
     As the one  bright spot ( there had to be  b a bright side in here somewhere) he lists the under appreciated Rachmaninof as his favorite composer.However,I cannot help thinking that that the players ,and their families, will fiind three million dollars in legal fees and a couple of years of quantitattively  immeasurable mental and physical damages,too great a price to this llauadable aesthetic  cross-reference.
   However,for my part,I am quite happy to exchange cultural  references with  Mr. Harr, and his friend Miss.Mangum.Let them consider" Aldonza's Song"( as magnificently perfermormed by Miss Joan Diener in the original "Man of LaMancha")
     "And so I became as befitted the mode of my birth,
       A casual bride to  the murderous scum of the earth.
     ..Should  you fear that you find me not quite at my virginal best,
       Slip two bits in my hand  and I'll williing show you the rest!"

The pair of them should,in the interests of raising our collective aesthtic standards,encapsulate that one on both their web sites.
   After all  Don Q. did ,at a terrible price,succeed  in salvaging Aldoonza.But it appears most likely that Crystal after sucking all the available lucre out of  Mr.Harr and V(for Vendtta)Peterrson will merely end up guzzling down more bottles of Don Q.

hp:
He portrays state Attorney General Roy Cooper, aided by a barely dressed "curvaceous assistant," wondering, "Let's see ... What else can I do to make the Nifong's life miserable?"

In arguing that Nifong deserves reinstatement to the bar, Harr noted Monday that Nifong is the only district attorney ever disbarred in the state -- despite instances of egregious prosecutorial misconduct by others."

It is hard for me to understand people who, even after being slapped in the face with a trout (or in this case, evidence), continue to not see truth.

Also, the argument that "so and so didn't get punished for what he did so why should Nifong be punished" is ridiculous.  How many times have we been told two wrongs don't make a right.  Sometimes, the system works and people are punished for their wrong doings.  Other times, the system fails.
SC:
  The logical extension of their argument would be that since no  prosecutor in North Carolina history has ever been himself prosecuted for such  all too frequent crimes,it is ,by precedent,too late to start ever now. The frame-up should be regarded as a legally sanctioned  fact of life down North Carolina way.
   Harr is equally bad on the DNA evidence,though he does at least have the grace to print the bloggers who futilely try to explain to him what he seems as incapable as ever of comprehending.
  All told, Elmo really does have good grounds for a libel suit here(unless Harr could convince a judge that receiving the Reader's Digest Award automatically turned Elmo iinto a public figure)
but Elmo shows his  forbearance to more meaningful opponents than Harr and(in pity for Harr's inviincible  ignorance )will probably turn the other cheek on this occasion as well.
Sydney Carton

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »

How depressing! Barry Saunders was, not so long ago, right up there with Cash and Nancy  as one of Nifong's top cheering squad. (Though unlike Cash and Nancy, he sometimes had the genuine taste,not to mention grace, to incorporate some  of my resumes  into  his articles.
Now even he refuses to join Justice4Nifong.In fact,if we accept Barry's account(and we selsom have) even Gottlieb and Cy Nifong haven't joined.
    May be they can get Wendy Murphy for their Vice-President!If Wendy still hoilds that secret document which she claimed(following  Attorney General Cooper's statement) proves the boys
bought off Crystal(who,demonstrably,comes cheaper than alibi witnesses) she can bring Nifong back with one hand tied behiind her.

(snip).

If the Peterson trial staggered Durham's reputation, the Nifong case nearly KO'd the city by focusing unflattering national attention on it.

Rabid Nifong supporters -- both of them -- contend the former prosecutor was unfairly persecuted for, as Sidney Harr said, "going after defendants who were from families of privilege."

Harr is a retired physician and an artist. He has drawn a color pro-Nifong comic strip called "The Mis-adventures of Super Duper Cooper" about a "mild-mannered ... bumbling attorney general dispensing selective justice based on color and class."

In arguing that Nifong deserves reinstatement to the bar, Harr noted Monday that Nifong is the only district attorney ever disbarred in the state -- despite instances of egregious prosecutorial misconduct by others.

Pretrial statements made by Cooper and Gov. Mike Easley, respectively, that Nifong was "a rogue prosecutor" and "the worst appointment I ever made" damaged Nifong's chances for justice, Harr said. "How was he going to get a fair trial after that?" he asked.

How many members, I asked Harr, are in the Committee on Justice for Mike Nifong? "If you join, that'll be three," he said. "You can have any title you want, as long as it is not president."

That title belongs to Durham community activist Victoria Peterson, who, because of her advocacy on behalf of Michael Peterson as well as Nifong, could soon become known as the patroness saint of lost causes.

"The wheels of justice move slowly," Peterson said when I asked whether she thought they'd get Nifong's license reinstated, "but they move. You must have people willing to stick their necks out. There are a lot of people who feel that he didn't get a fair trial."

None, apparently, who are willing to, in Victoria Peterson's words, stick their necks out and join the committee.

barry.saunders@newsobserver.com or (919) 836-2811
Sydney Carton

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 03:35:38 PM »

From DIW
 Wednesday, February 25, 2009
The Nifong Conspiracy Theorists

I largely have avoided commenting on the strange “Committee on Justice for Mike Nifong” organization, put together by a self-described “lay person,” Sidney Harr. The group, which demands restoration of Mike Nifong’s law license, portrays the disgraced ex-DA as a victim of a conspiracy involving Attorney General Roy Cooper, the North Carolina Bar, various defense attorneys, Judge Osmond Smith, Moezeldin Elmostafa, the North Carolina legislature (for enacting the law, which Nifong ignored, requiring prosecutors to turn over all test results from NTO’s), and (perhaps) other, unnamed co-conspirators in Durham, in North Carolina, in other states, and in other countries as well. Given the vastness of the conspiracy against him, it’s remarkable that Nifong was able to sustain his groundless prosecution for as long as he did.

The blog and accompanying website nonetheless make for an enlightening read, if only for a glimpse at the ill-concealed rage against the lacrosse players that fueled Nifong’s political base in Durham (and, for that matter, the Group of 88 at Duke). In recent weeks, Harr has put together a “comic strip”—all in “good, clean fun,” and “not malicious,” he claimed—that, among other things, purports to find humor in the experiences of the players’ parents. He also penned a post wildly alleging the bribery of Elmostafa, a theory so bizarre even Nifong never made it.

Harr’s blog and website are an appropriate tribute to Nifong, in terms of both tone and intellectual quality. And, to the extent that Harr sustains the character assault against the lacrosse players, he is, ironically, helping the players’ civil suits, by showing the continued damage to their reputations from the improper actions of Nifong and the Durham Police Department.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Advertise Here