Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 12:57:42 AM
75132 Posts in 1768 Topics by 359 Members
Latest Member: nic4real
Home Help Login Register
TalkLeft Discussion Forums  |  Topics  |  Duke Players' Discredited Sexual Assault Case  |  The Book: Until Proven Innocent 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Book: Until Proven Innocent  (Read 15926 times)
Diesel

Re: The Book: Until Proven Innocent
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 09:08:55 PM »

Mark:

I knew one of the freaks that drove all  those posters away was from the left coast but one wasn't from Trinty Park?  That explains a lot!
Gunslinger

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 08:30:54 PM »

"Merritt also established an online forum, which attracted a number of impressive pseudonymous commenters into the summer.  Then a self-described Nifong volunteer who lived in Trinity Park flooded the threads with tangential comments and drove most forum members away."

Oh come on.

Does someone else need to be proven innocent.

Mark, to be proven innocent, one has to actually be innocent.

As for the book, I was struck by the utter viciousness of the Gang of 88 and some of the Duke administration.  Remarkable.  They deserve all the payback they are currently getting (in the form of bad publicity) and more besides.

CR
MarkRougemont

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 07:03:05 AM »

"Merritt also established an online forum, which attracted a number of impressive pseudonymous commenters into the summer.  Then a self-described Nifong volunteer who lived in Trinity Park flooded the threads with tangential comments and drove most forum members away."

Oh come on.

Does someone else need to be proven innocent?

That sounds familiar. Maybe you should add something about whatever she did was bad enough. 
Mr X

is there no cave?..

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 10:24:47 PM »

"she" could be here enjoying her new found fame. alas, she is stuck in her "cave" with a few other mental cripples, wetting themselves when LS or TL members peer in upon them.

thanks for pulling the trigger TL
Gunslinger

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 10:28:03 PM »

Oh come on.

Does someone else need to be proven innocent?

That sounds familiar. Maybe you should add something about whatever she did was bad enough. 

Ha!  Good one, Mark.  Try this instead:

"Something happened on that forum, but we'll never know for certain."

CR
Neanderthal

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »

What book?

It's not in any of my local bookstores...
sceptical

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 09:21:22 PM »

The best way to get a copy at this time is through Barnes &  Noble on-line:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780312369125&itm=2

St. Martin's Press, the publisher, grossly underestimated the demand for the book so until there us a second printing, don't expect to find it in your local store.
Bessy

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 02:26:42 AM »

It's not in any stores around here either.
MarkRougemont

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 05:39:52 AM »

Seems like there are more reviews of the book than copies of the book.  Maybe they are sharing.
Diesel

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 08:40:01 AM »

Hey, Mark, Iíve been wondering why you donít send your own copy of Until Proven Innocent back? 

Even though Iíve followed the case closely, I found material that was new to me in many places. I think it is a tour de force. And it nails many canards that were floatedóand may still be--by those in a minority position on TL, as I hope to show in some future posts.

But all you seem to wonder is whether the book misidentified one of your friends at the Cave who has been barred from this site.

Could it be Mark, that you havenít bought or read the book at all?
Bessy

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 04:53:32 PM »

The best way to get a copy at this time is through Barnes &  Noble on-line:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780312369125&itm=2

St. Martin's Press, the publisher, grossly underestimated the demand for the book so until there us a second printing, don't expect to find it in your local store.
I don't get it. Over 10 thousands people read KC's blog daily. One should get an inkling that if just those who read the blog would buy the book you need more books than 13,000 copies.
So, what was the publisher thinking?
MarkRougemont

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 09:27:53 AM »

Hey, Mark, Iíve been wondering why you donít send your own copy of Until Proven Innocent back? 

Even though Iíve followed the case closely, I found material that was new to me in many places. I think it is a tour de force. And it nails many canards that were floatedóand may still be--by those in a minority position on TL, as I hope to show in some future posts.

But all you seem to wonder is whether the book misidentified one of your friends at the Cave who has been barred from this site.

Could it be Mark, that you havenít bought or read the book at all?

No I haven't read it nor do I intend to buy it.  I work at a book store and last time I checked we didn't have it.  After seeing that quote and other excerpts I have read, I don't intend to order it even with an employee discount and no shipping/handling charges.  I'll wait on the next St. Martin's Press book about this case and I hope that they learned from their mistake with this one and start with a very large first printing.

By the way, saw this in one of Gaynor's columns (quoting an e-mail from Cash): ""Well just so that you can't say you weren't informed, my book is in the works on the Duke case, and the back story behind it. [Note: Try St. Martin's Press!]"

Not sure if he was being sarcastic.

I'll buy that one, a personalized autographed copy.

Grisham's "Playing for Pizza" and Sparks "The Choice" release today and I will be buying those tonight.
I have Greenspan's book in the employee holds so I will probably get that one as well.  Should be enough reading for now.
wumhenry

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 10:12:46 AM »

You might not like it Mark, but to me that comment reinforced my positive assessment of Taylor and Johnsonís powers of observation. Perhaps you need to stand back a bit.

"powers of observation"?, they are not even on the left coast with that one. The other part is a matter of debate, in my humble opinion.

What are they wrong about?
Over in the bat cave, IMHO called the authors liars, saying she lives in California.  Under cross-examination by yrs truly, however, she admitted having asserted in messages posted here just before the general election last November that she was "identifying pools of voters [in Durham] who were not likely to vote for Monks or Cheek [Nifong's opponents]."  If the authors gathered that she was a volunteer for Nifong who lived in Durham, the inference was certainly reasonable!  And since IMHO's occupation and place of residence were of slight relevance to their narrative and the statement was non-defamatory, it was hardly worth bothering to double-check these trivial facts.  In calling them liars on this specious pretext, IMHO has done herself no credit.
MarkRougemont

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 10:29:59 AM »

You might not like it Mark, but to me that comment reinforced my positive assessment of Taylor and Johnson’s powers of observation. Perhaps you need to stand back a bit.

"powers of observation"?, they are not even on the left coast with that one. The other part is a matter of debate, in my humble opinion.

What are they wrong about?
Over in the bat cave, IMHO called the authors liars, saying she lives in California.  Under cross-examination by yrs truly, however, she admitted having asserted in messages posted here just before the general election last November that she was "identifying pools of voters [in Durham] who were not likely to vote for Monks or Cheek [Nifong's opponents]."  If the authors gathered that she was a volunteer for Nifong who lived in Durham, the inference was certainly reasonable!  And since IMHO's occupation and place of residence were of slight relevance to their narrative and the statement was non-defamatory, it was hardly worth bothering to double-check these trivial facts.  In calling them liars on this specious pretext, IMHO has done herself no credit.

Sure wumhenry, guess they should have added that infamous "on information and belief" to qualify the accusations they were making, similar to the NC NAACP 82 points, based on "media reports".  As far as driving away the good posters here, my opinion (and note I state this as an opinion, unlike this book), is that some posters left because they wanted a place to discuss the case only from a pro-defense point of view.  I recall that there were accusations in the original topic when this originally came out that  were also referring to  certain sexual preferences, at least they left that part out.
MarkRougemont

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 10:56:03 AM »

By the way, speaking of imho  getting out the vote I remembered a topic where imho was very helpful to a member here who had a kid at Duke that was not going to vote for Nifong.  You can judge for yourself if you are interested:

http://forums.talkleft.com/index.php/topic,594.msg31023.html#msg31023

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Advertise Here